Framing Glossary

Here is a list of framing terms that anyone framing should know

Independent Framing’s

Complete Glossary of Framing Terms

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Reset list
Bevel -  When the window is cut into the mat, the blade cuts at an angle, exposing part of the mat’s core.
Bottom-Weighted Mat -  When the border beneath the art is wider than the border above and beside it. 
Bumpers -  Rubber or felt pads that are placed on the bottom two corners of the frame. These provide an air space behind the frame and help keep the frame straight on the wall.  
Bumpons -  See "Bumpers".
Burl -  An irregular growth at the bottom of a tree. It is cut into thin veneer and applied to frames. Burl comes from a very small section of the tree so the pieces of veneer are short. On one length of frame moulding, numerous pieces of burl are laid end to end so seams are expected and a part of the look.
Burnish -  A technique used with gold leaf to create a lustrous sheen